Black Forest Gateau Roulade
December 16th, 2015
6 eggs, separated175g caster sugar plus a little for sprinkling
1 tspn vanilla extract50g cocoa powder, sieved
For the filling
175g cherries, stone removed and quartered
¼ tsp arrowroot
2tbspns cherry brandy
200ml whipping cream
½ tbspn icing sugar
¼ tspn vanilla bean paste or extract
3-4 heaped tbspns good quality cherry jam
33cm x 23cm Swiss roll tin, lined with non-stick baking paper
1. Preheat the oven on Fan plus 160°C. Using an electric hand mixer, whisk the egg yolks, caster sugar and vanilla extract together until very thick and creamy. Fold in the cocoa powder.
2. In a separate large bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff and standing in peaks. Stir a large spoonful of egg white into the chocolate mixture to loosen it down then gently fold in the remainder of the egg whites, taking care not to lose volume.
3. Transfer the chocolate mixture to the tin and spread evenly. Bake in Fan Oven 160°C, for 20 minutes
5. For the filling, place the cherries, arrowroot and cherry brandy into a container. Stir well. Steam at 100°C for 3 minutes. Once cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool.
6. Whip the whipping cream along with the vanilla paste and icing sugar until soft peaks.
7. When the roulade is cool, remove the baking paper. Heat the jam until warm in a small saucepan. Spread over the roulade and sprinkle with the cooked cherries and any juices. Evenly spread the whipped cream over the roulade leaving a 1 cm border round the edge to allow the cream to spread whilst rolling. Roll up the roulade from one of the shorter sides.
8. Once rolled, transfer to a serving plate and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- 01953 601567